If there’s one area of sales and marketing technology that’s en vogue for 2014, it’s hands-down the marketing automation software industry. While those of us in the B2B software marketing space might think marketing automation is old news, that’s because we’re actually the early adopters of this massive market that’s just beginning its growth trajectory. The marketing automation stats we’ve uncovered show that there’s plenty of room for expansion, and that the industry is prime for even more growth and attention in the coming year, as new industries and B2C companies jump on board.
Don’t believe me? Here are 30 shocking marketing automation stats that say otherwise:
Marketing Automation Stats: Industry Growth
3. There are 947 different marketing technologies available to marketers in 2014. That’s up from ~350 in September 2012 and ~100 in August 2011. (Source: Chief Marketing Technologist) <<Tweet this stat!
5. Monthly Google searches for the term “marketing automation” have grown by 22% in the past year, from 3600 in February 2013 to 4400 in January 2014 (Source: Google Keyword Planner) <<Tweet this stat!
6. Despite significant consolidation in the marketing automation industry over the past 5 years– Adobe (Neolane), IBM (Unica), Oracle (Eloqua and Responsys), Salesforce.com (Pardot and ExactTarget), and Teradata (Aprimo) – it’s still the second largest category of marketing technologies thanks to ever-emerging new entrants to the space. (Source: Chief Marketing Technologist) <<Tweet this stat!
Marketing Automation Adoption Rates
9. In fact, among 186,500 businesses surveyed in January 2014, only 3% used one of the four most common marketing automation systems– Eloqua, Marketo, HubSpot, or Pardot. (Source: Mintigo) <<Tweet this stat!
11. The 5 industries with the highest marketing automation adoption rates are 1. Software & Internet, 2. Telecommunications, 3. Computer & Electronics, 4. Health & Pharma, and 5. Business Services (Source: Mintigo) <<Tweet this stat!
Marketing Automation Talent
17. The number of marketing automation jobs has increased by 25% in just the past 4 months. In October 2013, there were 2,800 job postings with marketing automation in the description. (Source: Eloqua) <<Tweet this stat!
18. Marketing automation skills are among the most coveted digital marketing skills for 2014. However, there’s a 24% talent gap between how much marketing executives say they value marketing automation skills and how much marketing automation talent their teams actually possess. (Source: Online Marketing Institute) <<Tweet this stat!
Marketing Automation Buying Trends
21. CEOs and Business Owners are 25% more likely to be involved in a marketing automation software purchase than they are to get involved in other business software purchases. (Source: Capterra) <<Tweet this stat!
22. The top consideration factors when evaluating marketing automation software are 1. Price, 2. Product integration (CRM, social, mobile, etc.), and 3. Ease of use (Source: PepperGlobal) <<Tweet this stat!
23. In a 2014 comparison of marketing automation pricing among seven leading solutions, Infusionsoft had the lowest starting price at $199/month, while Marketo and Eloqua had the most expensive starting prices at $2000/month. (Source: Capterra) <<Tweet this stat!
24. Lead nurturing functionality is the #1 most important feature to marketing automation software buyers, followed by CRM integration and analytics/reporting. (Source: PepperGlobal) <<Tweet this stat!
25. Hubspot is the leading marketing automation platform for very small companies; Marketo is used most commonly by mid-size businesses; and Eloqua is the most popular choice for large enterprises. (Source: PepperGlobal) <<Tweet this stat!
Marketing Automation Benefits
29. Companies using marketing automation platforms are more likely to be PPC advertisers than those that don’t. 51% of Marketo users and 46% of Eloqua users run a PPC program, compared to just 14% overall PPC campaign usage. (Source: Mintigo) <<Tweet this stat!
As you can see, there are innumerable benefits to using marketing automation, not many marketers who know how to do it well, and 97% of companies that haven’t even tried it out yet. So what are you waiting for? Compare your marketing automation software options and ride this wave to marketing success in 2014!
Looking for Marketing Automation software? Check out Capterra's list of the best Marketing Automation software solutions.