Wild Apricot is the most popular membership management software in Capterra’s software directory. They are ahead in the number of customers and reviews on our directory, but does this make them the best for your nonprofit?
Make no mistake, Wild Apricot is a highly functional and decently priced membership management platform with all the relevant features for nonprofits covered, such as member directories, automatic renewals, and member marketing.
Despite their market share, however, they may not be the solution your nonprofit is looking for.
I’ve consulted our Top 20 Most Popular Membership Management Software infographic to build this comprehensive look into the next six most popular options that focus on nonprofits. All options have at a least a 3.5 out of 5 star rating and are listed in the order in which they appear on the infographic.
1. iMIS by ASI
iMIS is a cloud-based, all-in-one membership system that allows you to access your data anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. The software works well on mobile devices thanks to the ground up “Responsive Web Design” (RWD) build.
iMIS integrates with countless other programs and apps, such as Cause2Give online fundraising and Microsoft Outlook. iMIS includes an app add-on directory to enhance your experience with the software. Even if you can’t find what you’re looking for, iMIS includes a developer’s guide for adding new app integrations.
- Standard: $175/month/user (billed annually) for up to 5 users and 25,000 contacts
- Advanced: Contact the vendor for a quote; this option serves nonprofits of any size
- Extendable: Contact the vendor for a quote; this option includes an on-premise software option
Capterra user rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Have you used iMIS in the past? Be sure to leave a review on the product page!
One of the appealing aspects of MemberPlanet is the free, basic edition of their web-based software. It allows you to try out the software and see if it’s right for your organization before committing to a more advanced, paid option.
MemberPlanet offers everything you would expect from a membership management system, including member databases and application management, but it also comes with unique features such as text messaging campaign abilities.
Lastly, there is no shortage of software support for MemberPlanet. If you don’t feel like waiting for a response from their live email and phone support teams, they also offer a knowledge library that may answer your question in a more timely manner.
- Basic: Free—100 campaign emails and surveys and standard software support
- Essentials: $5/month—1,000 campaign emails, 300 surveys, and standard software support
- Pro: $30/month—10,000 campaign emails, unlimited surveys, and priority software support
- Premium: $100/month—20,000 campaign emails, unlimited surveys, and priority software support
Capterra user rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Have you used MemberPlanet in the past? Be sure to leave a review on the product page!
YourMembership has a social media focus to its membership management platform due to features such as content management, social media integration, and its own internal social community. The internal social community allows users to share their experiences, content, and even discover career opportunities within the nonprofit network.
YourMembership also includes recruitment tools such as email campaign and event management capabilities, making it a one-stop-shop for most of your nonprofit needs.
One drawback to YourMembership is that their lack of pricing on their website leaves buyers in the dark until they contact the vendor.
Pricing: Contact the vendor for a quote
Capterra user rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Have you used YourMembership in the past? Be sure to leave a review on our product page!
NeonCRM is a relatively reasonably priced (compared to other software options in this list), highly rated, and comprehensive membership management system. It covers all the necessary features for membership management, including directories, application management, and marketing features to recruit new members.
- Essentials Package: Starts at $50 and increases with the amount of member records; best for small to medium nonprofits
- Impact Package: Starts at $110 and increases with the amount of member records; best for medium to large nonprofits
- Empower Package: Starts at $200 and increases with the amount of member records; best for large to multinational nonprofits
NeonCRM also offers a pricing worksheet to help you find the best pricing package for your nonprofit.
Capterra user rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Have you used NeonCRM in the past? Be sure to leave a review on our product page!
While StarChapter is missing the convenience of automatic membership renewals, it hits the mark on all other relevant features. Where StarChapter truly shines is their customer service, which earned them five stars from our customer reviews.
Not only do they offer customer support whenever needed, they also have ongoing training sessions for new or learning users.
- Lite: $49/month, $399 setup fee, up to 100 members and 400 non-members
- Standard: $85/month, $699 setup fee, up to 150 members and 2,500 non-members
- Premier: $100/month, $899 setup fee, up to 800 members and 10,000 non-members
- Elite: $150/month, $1,499 setup fee, up to 5,000 members and 30,000 non-members
Capterra user rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Have you used StarChapter in the past? Be sure to leave a review on our product page!
MemberClicks offers almost all the features any nonprofit would need out of a membership management system, except for a jobs board feature. Aside from that, it is a very comprehensive membership management software.
On their website, they position their software as best for organizations with a small staff, as its inclusive list of features lets small organizations handle multiple functions within one software option.
MemberClicks is so confident in their product that they provide numerous case studies on the use of their software by multiple nonprofit organizations.
Lastly, MemberClicks offers its own internal online social community for users and members to connect, share their experiences, and grow their own networks, similar to YourMembership.
- Level 1: $238/month billed annually or $280 billed monthly, 300 custom profiles and 900 prospect profiles
- Level 2: $296/month billed annually or $350 billed monthly, 1,000 custom profiles and 3,000 prospect profiles
- Level 3: $375/month billed annually or $440 billed monthly, 2,500 custom profiles and 7,500 prospect profiles
- Level 4: $455/month billed annually or $530 billed monthly, 5,000 custom profiles and 15,000 prospect profiles
- Level 5: $567/month billed annually or $660 billed monthly, 10,000 custom profiles and 30,000 prospect profiles
Capterra User Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Have you used MemberClicks in the past? Be sure to leave a review on our product page!
Features comparison chart
Below is a features comparison chart for the six Wild Apricot alternatives:
Other software lists and guides
Are there any nonprofit membership management software options you feel should have made this list? Let me know in the comment section below.
The Capterra nonprofit technology blog is full of guides on new nonprofit software, tech trends, and general industry news. If you enjoyed this piece, here are a few other guides and software lists on our blog you will find useful:
- 7 Social Media Management Software Tools for Outspoken Nonprofits
- 4 Useful and Affordable Office 365 Alternatives for your Nonprofit
- The Top 11 Crowdfunding Platforms for Nonprofits
- 5 Outstanding Nonprofit Accounting Software Solutions Worth Paying For
- The Essential Guide to Going Mobile for Nonprofits
- How to Maximize Nonprofit Income While Maintaining Your 501c3 Tax-Exempt Status
- How to Boost Followers on Twitter for Nonprofits
- 9 Nonprofit Website Design Essentials to Supercharge Your Donations
Looking for Nonprofit software? Check out Capterra's list of the best Nonprofit software solutions.