Though I am perpetually frustrated in social situations when my friends use their smartphones to check email, browse Facebook, play Candy Crush, or do pretty much anything besides have a conversation with me, I have to admit their behavior is a big advantage for associations who want to connect with members.
No longer do people only check their emails at home on their computer, or browse Facebook just a couple times a day—now, they have constant access to emails and social media with their smartphones and tablets. This means that associations need to really know their members—know the ways that they best receive information, how frequently, through what means of communication, and also they need to stay up to date on the changing trends. To start you off, here are some statistics about technology usage in associations and how it’s evolving.
1. 37% of non-profits spend six or more hours per week on social media posting content and responding to questions. 29% spend six to ten hours per week on social media, 6% spend 11-20 hours per week, and 2% spend 21+ hours per week. (Source: VerticalResponse) <<Tweet this stat!
3. 67% of foundations that are using social media only do it to promote the work of the foundation. 49% use it to promote the work of the grantees, 45% use it to keep up with the news and trends, and 18% use it to solicit proposals. (Source: GlassPockets) <<Tweet this stat!
4. 96% of non-profits are active on Facebook, versus only 90% of small businesses, and 76% of non-profits post multiple times per week, versus 66% of small businesses. (Source: VerticalResponse) <<Tweet this stat!
6. For every 1,000 email subscribers, nonprofits have 149 Facebook fans, 53 Twitter followers, and 29 mobile subscribers. (Source: eBenchmarks Study)
7. 56% of organizations do not communicate with their members via text or plan to. 29% plan to start using a texting service in the next 12 months, and only 15% say that they currently do communicate with their members via text. (Source: Association Adviser) <<Tweet this stat!
9. 74% of associations send one to five emails to a member per month. But organizations that sent six to ten emails to a member per month had the highest open and click rates. (Source: Informz) <<Tweet this stat!
What other statistics do you think are interesting or important as associations adapt and learn to use more technology and social media? Add them in the comments below!
Looking for Association Management software? Check out Capterra's list of the best Association Management software solutions.