Volunteer management software helps nonprofits track volunteer hours.
Volunteers are often the unsung heroes of nonprofit organizations. Whether managing daily tasks, running workshops, or hosting events, volunteers help boost your organization’s efficiency and reach desired goals.
However, managing volunteers can be difficult. As a nonprofit leader, you need to train your volunteers and ensure they can effectively facilitate programs and events.
Free volunteer management software can help with all this and more by making it easier to train, coordinate, and mobilize volunteers. These tools help organize your data, delegate tasks, facilitate volunteer collaboration, and let you view individual performance in a volunteer portal.
This article highlights the three best free volunteer management software tools for your nonprofit, sorted alphabetically.
SignUp.com: Offers payment processing
SignUp.com is a volunteer management software solution built for schools, businesses, and community leaders. This tool helps users coordinate volunteers to plan and host events and workshops.
With SignUp.com, you can send SMS and email reminders to your audience, collect payments and contributions/donations, track volunteers, schedule volunteer shifts, and share information and updates about your events and volunteer opportunities on social media.
This software automatically stores and syncs your contacts for easy access and provides mobile-friendly signups for events via SMS.
SignUp.com offers chat support and is web-based.
- Calendar management
- Communication management
- Membership management
- Member directory
- Self-service portal
SignUpGenius: Helps track volunteer hours
SignUpGenius is a coordination and volunteer management solution designed to help nonprofits organize events and manage event attendees and volunteers.
This volunteer management system offers multiple themes so users can create customized signup pages and add information fields on signup forms. You can also duplicate past signups and transfer information to save time.
SignUpGenius lets you send automatic text and email reminders to volunteers and track volunteer engagement. You can send individual and group messages to event attendees and target communication for specific recipients.
This tool also helps with volunteer scheduling and can generate custom reports to track volunteer hours. You can assign multiple admins with varying permission/access levels and also notify admins whenever reports are generated for a volunteer program.
SignUpGenius offers email, phone, and chat support and is web-based.
- Attendance tracking
- Calendar management
- Communication management
- Event management
- Volunteer recruiting
Wild Apricot: Includes a volunteer information database
Wild Apricot is a membership and volunteer management system fit for small businesses and nonprofits. It allows users to create websites for event signups and send registration emails.
This tool helps with volunteer recruitment, volunteer management, and task assignments for upcoming events. Users can create a volunteer schedule within the tool and it includes an online registration portal where you can create detailed event listings with descriptions and images.
Wild Apricot facilitates payment tracking and event registration fee collection through your website. Attendees can also use a mobile app to submit payments.
This tool maintains a volunteer information database and lets you send email blasts for announcements and organizational updates.
Wild Apricot offers email, phone, and live chat support, as well as an iOS and Android app for mobile devices.
- Attendance tracking
- Committee management
- Donor management
- Email marketing
- Fundraising management
How to choose the right free volunteer management software for your organization
When you’re working with a limited budget like most nonprofits, choosing a free software tool can help you reach your goals without spending too much. Keeping the following considerations in mind can help you choose the right tool:
- Figure out how accessible the tool is: An ideal volunteer management tool is accessible from multiple devices and lets you view volunteer databases and reports on demand. This makes event and volunteer management more efficient and means you can easily delegate responsibilities to available volunteers.
- Check for a robust communication portal: Any volunteer management software is incomplete without built-in communication functionality. The software you choose should be able to send text and email reminders to volunteers and event attendees.
- Assess the efficiency a tool brings: Features such as scheduling and hours tracking, report generation, and a user-friendly interface are crucial to get the most out of a volunteer management tool. Before making a final purchase, check whether the software you’re buying has these features.
Common questions to ask while selecting free volunteer management software
When choosing a free volunteer management tool, ask software providers a few questions to make sure you have all the information from the start.
What limitations does this free tool have?
Most providers limit user seats and functionality in non-paid software plans, and you want to be aware of any limitations from the outset.
What kind of technical support should I expect?
Free tools often have limited support services, while paid users get priority support. Before finalizing your purchase, check on the support offerings for the software’s free plan.
Does the tool offer data integration assistance?
Volunteer management can require significant data handling for your organization. Ask software providers if their tool offers data integration and migration support so you can effortlessly move data when required.
How did we choose these products? We didn’t—you did.
To find your ideal software match, you need information you can trust—so you can save time, stay on budget, and focus more energy on growing your business. It’s why we vet and verify all our user reviews and recommend only the tools endorsed by people like you.
In other words, our product recommendations are never bought or sold, or based on the opinion of a single individual—they’re chosen by your peers, reflecting the views and experiences of our independent base of software reviewers.
To be considered for this list, products have to:
- Have at least 20 unique product reviews published on Capterra within the past two years, with an average rating of 3.0 or higher. We selected the three products with the highest ratings to feature in this article.
- Offer a free, standalone version of the software (not a trial version of the software where you must purchase a product after a limited amount of time).
- Meet our volunteer management software market definition: “Volunteer Management software helps prospect, recruit, coordinate, prioritize, schedule, and communicate with a volunteer workforce. Other features include recording volunteer hours, matching jobs to skills, mail mergers, and volunteer profiles. This type of software is often utilized by non-profit organizations, schools, museums, and hospitals.”
Note: The content in this piece that provides opinions and points of view expressed by users does not represent the views of Capterra.
“Best functionality” tool is identified based on the highest user ratings for functionality that a vendor received in publicly available reviews.
“Most affordable” tool is identified based on the lowest pricing a vendor offered on their website in terms of cost to upgrade as of September 23, 2021.