Sure, it’s 2016. But many businesses still consider social media an enigma.
If your business’s social strategy is:
- A) non-existent
- B) To throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, or
- C) To have an intern do it because it doesn’t really matter to you,
it’s time to change your tune.
I’ve collated these 20 social media statistics to help you build a more efficient and effective strategy, so your brand’s posts will no longer resemble the social media posts of a college senior looking for his first real-world job: very public and very disappointing.
Small businesses are aggressively getting in on the game:
- 50 million small businesses are now using Facebook pages. (Source: AdWeek)>> Tweet this!
- 92% of small businesses believe social media is important to their business. (Source: Social Media Examiner)>> Tweet this!
- 63% of small businesses spend six or more hours weekly on social media marketing. (Source: Social Media Examiner)>> Tweet this!
Still not convinced you need to invest in social media marketing? Well, what if I told you:
- 90% of B2B businesses saw increased exposure from social media. (Source: SocialMediaToday)>> Tweet this!
- 72% of a brand’s Twitter followers are likely to make a future purchase from that brand. (Source: SocialMediaToday)>> Tweet this!
- 47% of all internet users are on Facebook. (Source: jeffbullas.com)>> Tweet this!
Low ROI from social media? Maybe it’s what you’re sharing:
- Nearly 1 in 3 social media users will share a brand post that tells a particularly entertaining or humorous story. (Source: Software Advice)>> Tweet this!
- Listicles are the most-shared type of brand content on social media. (Source: BuzzStream)>> Tweet this!
- 22% of social media users will share a brand post that makes them look like they have inside information. (Source: Software Advice)>> Tweet this!
Maybe it’s where you’re sharing:
- 66% of B2C brands view Facebook as an effective marketing channel. (Source: MarketingLand)>> Tweet this!
- B2B brands have 3x as many followers on LinkedIn as likes on Facebook. (Source: TrackMaven)>> Tweet this!
- Only 18% of B2B marketers are using LinkedIn ads. But 75% of B2B marketers are using Facebook ads. (Source: Social Media Examiner)>> Tweet this!
Maybe you’re throwing people at the problem when social media marketing tools and a strategy adjustment will do:
- Small businesses receive an avg of 10 messages via social media per employee and answer 10.7% of those messages. (Source: SproutSocial)>> Tweet this!
- Medium-sized business receive an average of 6 messages per employee and answer 10.1% of them. (Source: SproutSocial)>> Tweet this!
- Technology investment in social media was nearly 50% less than other channels. (Source: Gartner for Marketing Leaders)>> Tweet this!
Have you tried reaching out directly via social media?
- Only 5% of social media users would be uncomfortable with a brand reaching out directly on a social platform. (Source: Software Advice)>> Tweet this!
- 5-10% of social media users account for 60-80% of social media influence. (Source: Business News Daily)>> Tweet this!
- 33% of customers prefer to reach out to a company for customer service via social media over to other channels. (Source: Conversocial)>> Tweet this!
Looking to spread the word? Consider an employee social advocacy program:
- Employee social advocacy programs grew 191% between 2013 and 2015. (Source: Altimeter Group)>> Tweet this!
- Content shared by employees gets eight times the engagement of content shared by brand pages. (Source: SocialMediaToday)>> Tweet this!
Ultimately, if you’re not yet investing in your brand’s social media presence (in a serious way), you’re falling behind. It doesn’t have to be all hassle, however. Data and tools to help you perform efficiently and effectively are now widely accessible.
Have you encountered any mind-blowing social media statistics that compelled you to change your approach? I’d love to hear them in the comments below.