So, what’s going on? Is it alive or dead? As someone who works with marketing automation and email marketing every day, I truly believe that quality sales opportunities and leads can still be generated through email, as long as you’re doing it effectively.
Here are some statistics and studies over the last few years that agree with my feelings about the future of email marketing:
1. There are 251 email marketing software solutions currently on the market. (Source: Capterra) <<Tweet this stat!
2. 33% of email opens occurred on an iPhone, while Gmail, second to the iPhone for opens, only accounted for 15% of those opens. (Source: Litmus) <<Tweet this stat!
3. Millennials are the age group most likely to check their email from bed (70%), from the bathroom (57%), or while driving (27%). (Source: Adobe) <<Tweet this stat!
4. 75% of Gmail’s 900 million users access their accounts on mobile devices. (Source: TechCrunch) <<Tweet this stat!
5. Email is the top source of analytics data for marketers, with 41% using their email marketing performance data. (Source: Forbes) <<Tweet this stat!
6. In 2011, mobile accounted for 8% of email opens, compared to 2015 with 55% opens on mobile. (Source: Litmus) <<Tweet this stat!
7. Email marketing was the biggest driver of Black Friday transactions, with 25.1% of sales originating from the marketing channel. (Source: Custora) <<Tweet this stat!
8. Marketers who use personalization in their subject lines see 26% more opens. (Source: Campaign Monitor) <<Tweet this stat!
9. 24% of Americans believe they check email “way too much,” and 40% say they go on “self-imposed email detox programs” and don’t check their email for an average of five days. (Source: Adobe) <<Tweet this stat!
10. 89% of marketers say that email is their primary channel for lead generation. (Source: Mailigen) <<Tweet this stat!
11. 65% of users prefer emails to contain mostly images, compared to 35% who prefer text. (Source: HubSpot) <<Tweet this stat!
12. 58% of adults check their email first thing in the morning. (Source: Customer Intelligence) <<Tweet this stat!
13. Adding video to an email can increase click rates by 300%. (Source: Emma) <<Tweet this stat!
1. 20% of marketers can directly link their email operations to their company’s primary revenue source. (Source: Pardot) <<Tweet this stat!
2. 61% of consumers like to receive weekly promotional emails and 28% want them even more frequently. (Source: Email is not dead) <<Tweet this stat!
3. Emails with social sharing buttons see a 158% increase in click through rates. (Source: Nonprofit Hub) <<Tweet this stat!
4. Of those that opt in to email messages from a brand, 95% find these messages somewhat or very useful. (Source: Salesforce) <<Tweet this stat!
5. Only 50% of marketers are currently using email marketing software, but 22% more plan on implementing it in 2015. (Source: Capterra) <<Tweet this stat!
6. The top 3 uses of email marketing are newsletters (66%), promotional content (54%), and welcome series emails (42%). (Source: Pardot) <<Tweet this stat!
7. 50% of marketers expect their company’s spend on email to increase in 2015. (Source: DMA) <<Tweet this stat!
1. As of 2013, there are nearly 3.9 billion email accounts worldwide, with that number expected to increase to 4.9 billion by the end of 2017. (Source: The Radicati Group) <<Tweet this stat!
2. 247 billion emails are sent every day. This equates to one email every 0.00000035 seconds. (Source: Email Marketing Reports) <<Tweet this stat!
3. For every $1 spent on email marketing, the average return is $44.25. (Source: emailexpert) <<Tweet this stat!
4. When marketed through email, consumers spend 138% more than people who don’t receive email offers. (Source: Convince and Convert) <<Tweet this stat!
5. There are 897 million mobile email users worldwide, including both business and consumer users. (Source: The Radicati Group) <<Tweet this stat!
6. 48% of emails are opened on a mobile device. (Source: Litmus) <<Tweet this stat!
7. 91% of consumers use email at least once a day. (Source: ExactTarget) <<Tweet this stat!
8. On a daily basis, US consumers interact with about 11 brands through email, compared to ~9 brands via Facebook, and ~8 brands via Twitter. (Source: EmailStatCenter.com) <<Tweet this stat!
9. A recent study concluded that email is almost 40 times better at acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter. (Source: McKinsey & Company) <<Tweet this stat!
10. 44% of consumers made at least one purchase last year based on a promotional email they received. (Source: Convince and Convert) <<Tweet this stat!
11. When asked which medium consumers would like to receive updates from, 90% preferred an email newsletter, while only 10% chose Facebook. (Source: Nielsen Norman Group) <<Tweet this stat!
12. 60% of marketers say that email marketing is producing an ROI for their organization. (Source: MarketingSherpa) <<Tweet this stat!
13. 72% of consumers sign up for emails because they want to get discounts, but only 8.2% sign up because they love the brand. (Source: BlueHornet) <<Tweet this stat!
14. Email conversion rates are three times higher than social media, with a 17% higher value in the conversion. (Source: McKinsey & Company) <<Tweet this stat!
15. 48% of consumers say that they prefer to communicate with brands via email. (Source: Direct Marketing News) <<Tweet this stat!
Do you think email marketing is still alive and kicking, or is it dying a slow, painful death? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!