Did you know the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects employment of chiropractors to grow 17% from 2014 to 2024? This is much faster than the average for all occupations. That’s two percent faster than we reported it was expected to grow in 2014.
“People across all age groups are increasingly becoming interested in alternative or complementary healthcare. Chiropractic care is appealing to patients because chiropractors use nonsurgical methods of treatment and do not prescribe drugs.”
Here are 10 more surprising current chiropractic statistics as we move through 2016.
The scope of the problem
1. Sixty-five million Americans suffer from chronic lower back pain. (Source: New York Times)
2. Replacing doctor visits for back pain with visits to the chiropractor could save Medicare $83.5 million every year. (Source: The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine)
Back pain treatments
3. Study participants who received eight weekly two-hour group meditation trainings had an easier time doing things like getting up out of a chair, going up the stairs and putting on their socks, and were less irritable and less likely to stay at home or in bed because of pain after six months. And they were still doing better a year later. (Source: New York Times)
4. 56% percent of patients who saw a doctor saw a 30% reduction in low back pain four weeks later. But 94% of patients who underwent manual-thrust manipulation saw a 30% reduction in low back pain four weeks later. (Source: The Spine Journal)
5. 61% percent of study participants who received meditation training experienced meaningful improvement in functioning six months after the program started. (Source: New York Times)
6. 58% percent of study participants who received cognitive behavioral treatment experienced meaningful improvement in functioning six months after the program started. Only 44 percent improved with their usual care. (Source: New York Times)
7. The average Chiropractor earns $58,740 per year. (Source: Payscale.com)
8. Total annual industry revenue for chiropractic is $14 billion. It was $12.5 billion in 2014. (Source: ibisworld.com)
9. Exactly 50% of the options in our Top Chiropractic Software Products directory are web-based.
10. The two most commonly found features among Capterra’s chiropractic software vendors are patient records and SOAP notes.
Any other cool chiropractic numbers you’re aware of? Add them in the comments below!
Looking for Chiropractic software? Check out Capterra's list of the best Chiropractic software solutions.