Buying construction project management software is a hassle; it’s expensive, the options are overwhelming, and, for many construction workers, it requires a shift in building processes.
Luckily, reviews can help clear things up. Here at Capterra, we pride ourselves in hosting solely vetted and verified reviews. Each review comes from a verified customer, who is encouraged to provide a candid review.
When making the decision to purchase a major software, construction project managers often lean heavily on reviews. Below, I’ve compressed the search for you; the software options are listed by number of reviews, spell out the pros and cons, feature a review, and provide pricing if available.
1. PlanGrid: 113 Reviews
Plangrid is a cloud-based, construction project management software that was designed for engineering, home building, and real estate development. Users commonly remark that they do not spend much time learning to use the software, as it’s easy to use straight out of the box.
- Plangrid excels at document management, so subcontractors are always apprised of the latest drawings for their project. The product is also loaded up with OCR, so your contracts and documents can be scanned in, reviewed, and edited as needed.
- The software is available on many operating systems, including iOS and Android, so users can easily take the software’s capabilities on- and off-site.
- Contractors can easily mark up and comment on blueprints.
- Reports cannot be customized with a company logo.
- Users do not all have positive experiences with customer support, especially since it’s primarily done through chat and email.
PlanGrid does everything you need with an easy to use interface. It has many smart features that take a lot of time out of mundane tasks. For example, uploading a PDF of a construction set is streamlined by auto-sheet name/number recognition and intelligent version control. It’s easy to get a project off the ground and the contractors we work with love it.
Bulletins/Addendums/RFIs/Punch Lists have never been easier to document/manage and everything is handled through the cloud. The mobile apps work great and the UI is clean and friendly. The cost is easily offset by the time it saves during the Construction Administration process.
2. Procore: 111 Reviews
In addition to being the second most reviewed software on this list, Procore is the second most popular construction management software, boasting just under a million users total. This feature-rich cloud software covers everything from contracts to RFIs in an intuitive platform.
- If you can use Facebook, you can use Procore.
- Communications between GCs, contractors, subcontractors, and clients are all documented and searchable.
- Outstanding onboarding videos and customer support.
- Missing key integrations, like Google Drive, Bluebeam, SAP, FreshBooks, HeavyBid, and Takeoff Live.
- The reporting function is missing common templates and is limited in scope.
When I started with the company all the project managers had a different process or way of filing information. After switching to Procore[,] we have been able to define SOP for the entire operations team. It’s still a work in progress, but we are much closer to a standard process. As a result we are able to share resources between projects much more efficiently.
Price: Contact vendor for a quote.
3. HeavyJob: 52 Reviews
HeavyJob is dedicated to construction accounting. It stands out as a great resource for construction project managers concerned with time sheets, cost analysis, production rates, and and data analysis.
- Excellent for tracking resource and material quantity and use.
- Acclaimed customer support.
- Outstanding, fully-functional mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Users have complained about a long, frustrating learning curve when first using the software.
- The proposal functionality is clunky and requires a lot of user customization.
HCSS always has fantastic assistance anytime you need help. I enjoy utilizing the different aspects of payroll reporting, especially for editing time. I have not used the mobile time yet, but I am very excited to. I look forward to the functions that allow you to prevent time cards from being submitted without certain criteria met.
Price: A variety of plans are available; users can estimate how much they’ll pay using HCSS’s calculator.
4. eSub: 27 Reviews
If you’re a specialty contractor looking for high-quality construction project management software, eSub may be your best bet. The suite covers project and resource management, scheduling, time cards, and corporate communication.
- The robust mobile app offers voice dictation, so subcontractors can update their progress on the go.
- Easy to pick up and use.
- While change orders are cited as the biggest frustration for people in the construction industry, eSub’s change order tracking and functionality is often mentioned as one of the product’s biggest selling points.
- The “Pay App” function is often not detailed enough to meet customer needs.
- Users must enter their contacts in manually for each job.
eSub provides a great cloud-based solution that meets all of our project management and project tracking needs. As a subcontractor, it was nice to finally find a software solution that is tailored to the needs of subs and our work flow. It is easy to use and it has been easily adopted by all of our users, both in the office and in the field. I find that it covers all of the processes of a subcontracting workflow simply, but it is not simplistic. It is a sophisticated piece of software that has increased our internal efficiency and our external “appearance” to our clients.
Price: Contact vendor for a quote.
5. Jonas Premier: 26 Reviews
Jonas Premier stands out as a cloud-based, construction accounting and project management software option for small to mid-size commercial contractors. The software is well-known for providing automated cost updates, forecasting, and insightful reporting.
- User roles and permissions ensure that workflow is processed correctly.
- Outstanding customer experience and support on all levels.
- Jonas Premier provides customers with the ability to create customizable templates, a major asset for businesses that have multiple similar projects.
- While eventually easy to use, there is still a notable learning curve for new users.
- Relies on third-party integrations for time tracking.
Do your homework. Everyone we know uses Sage. We dug deeper, found several comparable products, participated in demos, and discovered that Jonas was far and away the best in class. If you want a software product that is affordable, easy to adopt, mobile and cloud based, all provided by a company that is truly passionate about the work you do and is so receptive to your feedback that they will literally rewrite the program at no cost – then Jonas Premier is for you.
Price: $150 per month per user; an additional $25 per month is applied for mobile app use.
6. Projectmates: 26 Reviews
Projectmates appeals to a variety of professionals in the construction field, including those in retail, healthcare, education (higher-ed and K-12), real estate, government contracts, and commercial contracts. Projectmates provides a construction project management software option with specified steps to optimize its functionality for each of these verticals.
- Is able to convert multiple types of currency for international businesses and projects.
- Software customization is available.
- Users have reported that learning how to use Projectmates is straightforward and easy.
- The navigation can be frustrating and cumbersome; Projectmates would do well with a UI redesign.
- Missing some key integrations, like Microsoft Outlook.
We have been with Projectmates for 2 years. The implementation team really listened to our needs and customized the software to fit our needs. We have made changes within our organization since the initial set up and are able to seamlessly incorporate those changes within Projectmates. I am especially impressed with their technical support response knowledge and timeliness as well as the continuous enhancements to the software. We have also benefitted from the webinars Projectmates offers.
Price: Contact vendor for a quote.
7. GenieBelt: 24 Reviews
GenieBelt stands out because it’s extraordinarily easy to use, offers a free version, and offers live scheduling. Its mobile version is completely site friendly and it offers tons of construction project management features.
- Takes only a few weeks to learn the entire program.
- Friendly staff with outstanding customer service.
- Provides a full audit trail for project updates, with easily customizable viewer permission levels.
- Lacks some important accounting functionality, like estimating and forecasting.
- No time-tracking options.
Geniebelt has given our company an unfair advantage over our competitors who are still using paper project plans, clunky large scale apps or worse nothing at all. The team at Geniebelt has been there all the way with any questions or addressing any issues, I cannot be happier as a business owner with Geniebelt, it is has given back my life, with less paperwork and stress.
8. Relatics: 22 Reviews
Relatics offers project management, risk management, and strong collaboration services to civil engineers and construction professionals. The software has several high-profile clients including Audi, Siemens, and Arcadis.
- Awesome customizability to fit your company’s needs.
- Excellent customer support and onboarding options.
- Flexible for small to large projects with templates to fit most project types.
- Customization can be difficult and time consuming, especially for the project administrator.
- No calculators for complex designs.
Relatics is adaptable to any process and information stream you can think of and can link to existing systems and data without interfering. The setup and implementation process itself helps to understand how you are working and how the processes and information connects to each other, which is a benefit in itself. Relatics is web and browser based (cloud) and does not require any local install. It can be used on any web-enabled device which is great.
Price: Contact vendor for a quote.
There are plenty of other great construction project management software that simply are low on reviews or just barely didn’t make this list. What do you think should be included? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!
And if you see a brand that should be covered here but wasn’t, head on over to Capterra’s construction project management software directory and add a review of your own!
Looking for Construction Management software? Check out Capterra's list of the best Construction Management software solutions.